Al-Zalzalah is the 99th surah (chapter) of the Holy Qur’an. It consists of 8 ayat (verses) that were revealed in Mecca and Medina. Az-Zalzalah most most probably was revealed in the early part of the Medina period (Itqan), although some authorities regard it as a Meccan revelation.
بِسْمِ اللّٰهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 1
إِذَا زُلْزِلَتِ الْأَرْضُ زِلْزَالَهَا
Izaa zul zilatil ardu zil zaalaha
1. WHEN THE EARTH quakes with her [last] mighty quaking,
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 2
وَأَخْرَجَتِ الْأَرْضُ أَثْقَالَهَا
Wa akh rajatil ardu athqaalaha
2. and [when] the earth yields up her burdens,1
1 I.e., all that was hitherto hidden in it, including the bodies—or the remnants—of the dead.
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 3
وَقَالَ الْإِنْسَانُ مَا لَهَا
Wa qaalal insaanu ma laha
3. and man cries out, “What has happened to her?”—
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 4
يَوْمَئِذٍ تُحَدِّثُ أَخْبَارَهَا
Yawmaa izin tuhaddithu akhbaaraha
4. on that Day will she recount all her tidings,
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 5
بِأَنَّ رَبَّكَ أَوْحَىٰ لَهَا
Bi-anna rabbaka awhaa laha
5. as thy Sustainer will have inspired her to do!2
2 I.e., on the Day of Judgment the earth will bear witness, as it were, to all that has ever been done by man: an explanation given by the Prophet, according to a Tradition on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (quoted by Ibn Hanbal and Tirmidhi).
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 6
يَوْمَئِذٍ يَصْدُرُ النَّاسُ أَشْتَاتًا لِيُرَوْا أَعْمَالَهُمْ
Yawma iziny yas durun naasu ash tatal liyuraw a’maalahum
6. On that Day will all men come forward, cut off from one another,3 to be shown their [past] deeds.
3 Lit., “as separate entities” (ashtatan). Cf. Surah Al-An’am : 94—”And now, indeed, you have come unto Us in a lonely state, even as We created you in the first instance”: thus stressing the individual, untransferable responsibility of every human being.
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 7
فَمَنْ يَعْمَلْ مِثْقَالَ ذَرَّةٍ خَيْرًا يَرَهُ
Famaiy ya’mal mithqala zarratin khai raiy-yarah
7. And so, he who shall have done an atom’s weight of good, shall behold it;
Surah Al-Zalzalah Ayat 8
وَمَنْ يَعْمَلْ مِثْقَالَ ذَرَّةٍ شَرًّا يَرَهُ
Wa maiy-y’amal mithqala zarratin sharraiy-yarah
8. and he who shall have done an atom’s weight of evil, shall behold it.
Source: The Message of the Quran by Muhammad Asad